Monday, June 24, 2013

How to find the PERFECT rescued dog.

I spent the first 5 days after rescuing Kasey in a complete panic attack. Not only was she terrifying and out of control..the people who were going to help bailed on me, and she had big vet bills before I even MET her. 
 I spent the first three months trying to find her a home while struggling with her skin/allergy/anxiety/behavior issues. There were a lot of tears, a lot of heartache, big vet bills...and still no one wanted her. But somehow during the chaos, stress and hopelessness I felt...a bond was created between the two of us. One that helped Kasey know TRUST. Love. And after her fourth month here...even though the battle with her allergies, medical issues and anxiety were nowhere NEAR done...I knew she was here to stay. 
Rescuing a dog is NOT easy sometimes. Not every dog comes into your home "perfect". Kasey had a hard life before..she was abused..neglected..dumped..over bred. Her medical issues caused her pain and discomfort. It's no wonder she was so anxious. Her aggression went away the moment she learned she could trust my family and I. But had we not battled all of this TOGETHER the bond between us wouldn't be the same. Wouldn't be as strong. 
I'm not saying your perfect dog doesn't love you. But what I AM saying is: DON'T GIVE UP ON AN ANIMAL WITH ISSUES. Because they DO deserve your love. Your time. Your trust. They DO come around. They come to us with broken hearts..and it's OUR JOB to fix it. 

I would never have found my doggy soul mate had things gone differently. I don't think most people would have even given her a chance. Kasey is honestly the best and most loyal dog I've EVER had in my life. I will cherish every day I have with her..I'm thankful our paths crossed..and even more thankful for the amazing friends who helped me save her. It takes an army!
 ~Stephanie, Kitties & Kritters
 P.S.  Don't give up, they need us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment